Who Feels Love?

Who Feels Love?
Oasis - Band that changed my life

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Iron Maiden

Won't you come into my room; I wanna show you all my wares
I just want to see your blood, I just want to stand and stare
See the blood begin to flow, as it falls upon the floor
Iron Maiden can't be fought, Iron Maiden can't be sought
Oh Well, wherever, wherever you are
Iron Maiden's gonna get you no matter how far
See the blood flow watching it shed up above my head
Iron Maiden wants you for dead
Source: Iron Maiden

Well if you are thinking that this has something to do psycho-rapist hell bent upon killing his victim, you are wrong. Iron Maiden. This is the name of the song by heavy metal band by the same name (Oops! I meant Gods of Heavy Metal.)
If you want are getting some notions about how the band is by reading the lyrics above, then you are apparently heading the wrong way. Actually the song is about a medieval torture machine. It was a hollow iron mummy which had very big spikes inside it having a face of a woman. And that is why it was called Iron Maiden. When any person was to be punished, then he/she was put inside Iron Maiden. As the door was closed, the spikes used to pierce such parts of the human body that the occupant wasn’t killed in an instant. But the death was slow and torturous. And that was why it was referred as a torture machine.
Anyways, let’s leave apart this gory story. That was just for G.K. and nothing else.
Steve Harris, the founder of the band got this name, I don’t know why???

But today I don’t know whether Iron Maiden is made of Iron or is any Maiden part of it? All I know is that I have associated this name with some of the greatest music I have ever heard. And I will always respect this name whatever may be its meaning. The kind of satisfaction one achieves while listening to Maiden really can not be explained in words. You need to hear them before you can say anything about them.

The anecdote of my relationship with Iron Maiden started when I first heard “Fear of the Dark”. I was captivated at that moment itself. I knew that this was the band I was searching for so many years. Then I happened to lay my hands on “Run to the Hills” and that was it. The super fast guitar & drums just enthralled me. And since then Iron Maiden has been my favorite band. I have found it really hard to replace it with some other band. Now the list of my favorite Maiden songs is endless. I have heard almost all the Maiden songs. I mean Studio and live albums.

The band has been active since almost 30 years. The adrenaline gush that you get after hearing the songs is just amazing. Dave Murray's guitars are so unique that you can almost recognize that its Maiden that is being played. Steve Harris mentorship can be seen in the music as well. The marching bass always gives a string foundation for any song. The bass coupled with Nikko's superb drums is just too good to resist. Even though Nikko plays single bass drum, its really as fast as a double bass. The trio of Dave, Janick Gers and Adrian Smith give all the guitar hungry fans a food that they can relish upon time and again.. and again... Which one of them is playing lead and which one rythm.. it doesnt matter because all of them are just awesome personnnels.

And finally the favorite member of the band, yeah its the vocalist Bruce Dickinson. He is just too good . "Hallowed be Thy Name" (My favorite Maiden song) epitomizes his legacy. His voice does appropriate justice to the meaning of the song. The exact feelings which a man can feel once he has been sent to gallows....

I had a chance to see my Metal Gods last year in March 2007 when they had came to perform in Bangalore. It was their first show in India and I was obliged to attend that. Even though all these Gods of Heavy Metals are well above 50 years of age, their live shows are as electrifying as they were 30 years ago. May be they are much more pumping than before. The way Bruce keeps on jumping on the stage just defies his age. The stages and lightings were at the supreme best. And also the band's mascot Eddie was the thing to watch out for during the live shows. Earlier this year, when Maiden came in Mumbai in feb, I was not able to go for the show as it was my friend' s wedding. But next time when they will come I am not gonna miss them for sure...

“Oh Well, wherever, wherever you are
Iron Maiden's gonna get you no matter how far”……….

No comments: