Who Feels Love?

Who Feels Love?
Oasis - Band that changed my life

Monday, December 1, 2008

Mahabaleshwar ride

29th Nov 2008
We4 people --Ravi , his wife Trupti, my friend Devyani and me went to a ride to Mahabaleshwar on 2 bikes. Sadly, we chose a wrong day as it was pretty cloudy, but me and ravi were planning for this trip for quite some time and we didnt wanted to cancel the trip again. The decision proved a bit costly.
We started at 0630. The clouds became darker and darker as we approached Mahabaleshwar and mild showers were accompanying us all the way. And then it started raining heavily. As we approached the ghats, we were completely drenched by 0900. Started ascending ghats and the visibility started getting shorter and shorter. And in the end we were not able to see each other's bikes also. Visibility was almost 5 meters. Reached Mahabaleshwar by 1030.
There was no point in going to any tourist spots as visibility was next to nothing. All we saw was clouds. We were almost eating clouds. But then for sometime, the Rain-Gods showed some mercy upon us and the weather cleared a bit. Quickly we made our way to elephant point and clicked some snaps. As we were all drenched up, a hot cup of tea became order of the day. We had tea wherever we could lay our hands upon. But again the clouds got darker and rains...
Finally decided that not point in roaming around here and there. Even a tourist spot like Mahabaleshwar can become a ghost town. We lost our way in the town while returning back to Pune and we were really not able to find any people on the road to help us out. Finally some by passer appeared and showed us the way.
We purchased some strawberries and started back to Pune. On the way, decided to have lunch at Mapro's at almost 1500. Hmm, I had heard a lot about it,, but experience wasn't that good. A bit overpriced and way to over hyped is all I can say about Mapro.
Reached Pune at almost 1930 and I was shivering all the way back as I was completely drenched from head to toe. Making way through hopeless traffic of Swargate and Solapur road, I dropped Devu at Magarpatta City(one corner of Pune). Again making my way back through the same dumb-ass traffic, I reached my home at Pashan (other corner of Pune) at 2130.
Decided I will never ever pick a pillion from the other corner of Pune from here after.
Those final few kms in the city traffic are way more tiring than the hundreds of kms I cover during the day.
I didn't even have a dinner and slept of almost instantaneously as I was dead tired.
Statistics:-
Distance :- 323 kms
Route :- Pune - Mahabaleshwar - Pune

3 comments:

vagabond.. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hi There,
Nice blog and must be sad travelling in such weather. Me and my wife are planning to visit Mahabaleshwar/panchagni on our kinetic from Pune. was wondering how was the ride on ghats and did you guys switch off engine downhill as I would be riding a gearless scooter. Need some tips, travelling next month.
Rgds,
Rao

Pushkar said...

Hi Rao,
Thanks. The Mahabaleshwar ghat is very easy one as compard to the rest of the ghats in Sahyadris.
I guess you have a Kinetic Honda, so you should be able to do it comfortably. I normally dont prefer switching off engine downhill. But in case of gearless bike, it can make sense to kill the engine. But beware while turning as small wheels have greater chances of slipping.
Enjoy your ride!!!!